Chicago Public Schools – Assistant General Counsel (posted 8/5/19 open until filled)
ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL
The Chicago Public Schools (CPS) has set ambitious goals to ensure that every child, in every community, has access to a high quality education that prepares them for success in college and career.
CPS is seeking an Assistant General Counsel who will work in the Labor and Employee Discipline Unit of the Law Department. This Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for handling grievance arbitrations, unfair labor practice charges, employee discipline administrative hearings, and other labor relations matters.
This Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for working closely with CPS clients to ensure that labor and employee discipline cases are properly handled and litigated. The Assistant General Counsel is also charged with reviewing the legality of employee relations strategies and policies, and possessing a keen knowledge of federal and state statutory and case law in employment and labor areas as well as all areas that may impact the District.
In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the Assistant General Counsel must possess the following qualifications:
Type of Education Required: Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and license to practice law in the state of Illinois.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Ability to solve problems and work independently.
● Effectively litigate cases before arbitrators, hearing officers, administrative agencies, and courts.
● Knowledge of best practices in employment and labor law, and federal and state related law areas.
● Ability to build trusting relationships and function effectively with officers, senior leaders, department managers, and school-based staff.
● Ability to work in teams and independently, make effective decisions, and collaborate with clients.
● Demonstrated experience negotiating and informally resolving complex cases.
● Excellent oral and written communications skills.
● Demonstrated ability to take ownership of and solve problems, to assess issues, and to provide sound legal advice.
● Organizational skills and ability to manage many matters simultaneously.
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience.
Application: Please submit your resume as soon as possible.