Website Chicago Public Schools Office of Inspector General
Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is the third-largest school district in the United States, serving over 340,000 students in 600+ schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career, and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission, we make three commitments to our students, their families, and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability, and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments – student-centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership, and continuous learning.
The Office of Inspector General is the independent oversight body for Chicago’s approximately 650 public, contract and charter schools. The Office of Inspector General is charged with the responsibility of investigating allegations of waste, fraud and financial mismanagement in public education within the jurisdiction of the Chicago Board of Education.
The Staff Attorney will be held accountable for the following responsibilities:
- Review, interpret and summarize collected information covering all phases of an investigation, demonstrating sound analysis of the issues
- Write and edit investigative summary reports, which are sent to the Chicago Board of Education
- Collaborate with attorneys and investigators to resolve legal or investigative issues
- Conduct legal research as needed
- Perform additional ad hoc duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated superior ability to write concise, logical and analytical reports to convey complex issues
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills demonstrated by ability to quickly digest large amounts of information to provide high level factual and legal analysis
- Extremely effective communication and collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Strong ability to identify and escalate issues as appropriate and present them along with analyses to superiors
- Refined judgment with the ability to manage highly sensitive and confidential information
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks, manage multiple deadlines and work independently while maintaining high levels of organization
In order to be successful and achieve the above responsibilities, the Staff Attorney must possess the following qualifications:
Type of Education Required:
- JD from an ABA accredited law school
Type of Experience Required:
- Law review/journal experience preferred
Admission to the Illinois Bar or the bar of another state
- Conditions of Employment
As a condition of employment with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS), employees are required to:
Establish/Maintain Chicago Residency – Employees are required to live within the geographic boundaries of the City of Chicago within six months of their CPS hire date and maintain residency throughout their employment with the district. The Chicago residency requirement does not apply to temporary/part-time positions, however, all CPS employees must be residents of Illinois.
Be Fully Vaccinated Against COVID-19 – Unless approved for a medical or religious exemption, all employees are required to be up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters, and to submit proof of vaccination to the district within 30 days of hire. “Up-to-date” on vaccination is defined as being at least two weeks past all primary vaccine doses and any applicable boosters. Unvaccinated staff with an approved exemption must submit to weekly testing.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com