HLAI is a not-for-profit corporation that was established in 1995. HLAI was formed through the joining of its predecessor organizations, the Latin American Bar Association and the Mexican American Lawyers Association, which had previously served the Hispanic legal community in Illinois since 1970.
Our Mission & Vision
Our Mission: We are a community of lawyers committed to promoting and supporting the advancement of Hispanic and Latino attorneys in the legal profession and advocating for justice and fairness in Illinois.
Our Vision: HLAI strives for a robust, engaged, diverse legal professional community to encourage fairness and balance in the legal system.
Our Values and Beliefs:
- COMMUNITY: We believe we are stronger together. We discover our similarities, celebrate our differences, and value the unique contributions that Hispanic and Latinx attorneys in Illinois have on the legal community in which we work, socialize, and advocate.
- DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: We believe in building bridges among organizations to address community needs.
- ENGAGEMENT: We are dynamic, connected, and actively engaged with our members, supporters, and the communities we serve.
- JUSTICE AND EQUALITY: We believe in advocating for justice and fairness in our communities.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: We value providing members with resources and support throughout their legal careers to encourage the development of their talent and future opportunities.