Website City of Chicago, Law Department
The City of Chicago Law Department is seeking an attorney for the position of Assistant Corporation Counsel I, in the Building & License Enforcement Division to represent the City in Municipal Code enforcement cases related to the public’s health and safety, including building code, police, and licensing matters. The Assistant Corporation Counsel will work under the general supervision of the Deputy Corporation Counsel of the BLE Division and will handle litigation in state court. The Assistant Corporation Counsel will also be responsible for evaluating cases, drafting pleadings and motions, propounding and answering discovery, engaging in legal research, negotiating settlements, presenting oral arguments and evidentiary hearings, conducting trials, and counseling law clerks on such tasks. The Assistant Corporation Counsel will also communicate with City Departments, community groups, and Aldermanic offices; review proposed ordinances and legislation; respond to subpoenas; oversee special projects and initiatives; and counsel law clerks on such tasks. The substantive areas of law will include, among others, buildings, zoning, licensing, and other related real estate and property matters. This position requires initiative, flexibility, time management, and the ability to think and respond to urgent situations.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Ideal candidates will possess the following:
- demonstrated academic achievement;
- experience handling litigation in state court and administrative proceedings;
- strong writing skills, including experience drafting or responding to pleadings, motions, and discovery;
- previous municipal law and/or prosecutorial work experience;
- excellent negotiation and communication (oral and writing) skills;
- ability to respond quickly in emergency situations; and
- demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, monitor, and control workflow deadlines.
Please follow link for full position description and application: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/108/jobsearch.ftl
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org