Website City of Chicago, Law Department
The City of Chicago Law Department is seeking several attorneys for the position of Assistant Corporation Counsel II, in the Regulatory and Contracts Division, which handles a wide range of transactional, regulatory and litigation matters including those relating to city purchasing, environmental issues, utility regulation, and O’Hare and Midway International Airports. The focus of the work will be to represent various City departments in transactional, litigation, and regulatory matters including those relating to the procurement of goods, work and services, concession agreements, and other agreements relating to information technology and data. The work will provide legal representation to City departments, which may include, for example, the Department of Finance, the Chicago Department of Aviation, the Department of Transportation, etc. The ACC will work under the general supervision of the Deputy Corporation Counsel, Chief Assistant Corporation Counsel, and Assistant Corporation Counsel Supervisors of the RC Division. The ACC will analyze proposed transactions for compliance with law, conduct legal research, and advise City departments. The ACC may also review, draft, and negotiate contracts. The ACC may also draft proposed ordinances related to such agreements and review and comment on proposed legislation and federal rules. The ACC may also handle pre-litigation disputes, litigation in federal and state court, and proceedings before administrative bodies, including but not limited to the Federal Communications Commission, the Illinois Commerce Commission, and the Chicago Department of Administrative Hearings. The ACC will be expected to learn the legal framework governing City of Chicago transactions. The ACC may be required to assist in the other practice areas (aviation, regulatory, litigation) as necessary, and may be required to attend client meetings or hearings onsite at the City’s airports or other City facilities.
Ideal candidates will possess the following:
- Superior writing, researching and editing skills;
- Preference given to candidates with experience in commercial transactional law including the ability to draft and negotiate agreements and analyze transactions for compliance with the law;
- Preference given to candidates with demonstrated experience and ability to litigate in court and administrative tribunals;
- Preference given to candidates with legal experience researching, analyzing, drafting and/or reviewing legislation, proposed legislation, and rules/regulations;
- Preference given to candidates with legal experience with the statutory and regulatory frameworks for contracts of governmental entities;
- Excellent analytical and communication (oral and writing) skills;
- Exceptional client counseling, negotiation, and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated academic achievement;
- Demonstrated leadership and initiative on assigned tasks;
- Demonstrated ability to organize project schedules and meet deadlines; and
- Ability to work well with others.
Please follow link for full position description and application: https://chicago.taleo.net/careersection/108/jobsearch.ftl
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com