Website City of Chicago, Law Department
The City of Chicago Office of the Corporation Counsel is seeking highly qualified applicants for the
position of Deputy Corporation Counsel – Risk Manager & Compliance for the newly created Risk
Management and Compliance Division. The successful candidate will serve as a senior member of the
law department under the direction of the Corporation Counsel to develop risk mitigation policies and
compliance procedures to minimize areas of legal risk and promote efficient operations for client
departments. Duties will include working with the Deputies of the various divisions and the Office of
Budget and Management to forecast and identify areas of liability and serve as the point of contact with
City insurance carriers.
• Advises the Law department attorneys and operating department liaisons on best practices in risk
management and compliance to minimize areas of identified risk and liability.
• Develops training protocols for sharing with operating departments and internal stake holders
related to risk management strategies and best practices and trends in the legal field.
• Manages the Law Department response requirements to insurance carriers on excess liability
reporting and updating.
• Coordinates with the Office of Budget Management and Law Department Finance Manager to
project annual litigation costs.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of current litigation defense strategies, compiles statistical data,
prepares comprehensive reports on the results of litigation, and recommends procedural changes to
• Plans, develops, and establishes goals, and objectives to reduce areas of repeated litigation risk.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
• Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school
• Admission to the Illinois Bar and active Illinois license to practice law
• 10+ years legal and management/executive level experience
• Proven track record of effectively interacting with senior management
• Ability to work strategically and collaboratively across departments
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Federal, state, and local litigation experience
• Federal and state legislation and its impact on City ordinances
• Supervisory and management methods, practices, and procedures
• Knowledge of best practices in risk management and compliance
• Ability to exercise sound judgement and discretion
• General knowledge of City policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
• Skill to plan, organize and implement processes
• Attentive to detail and deadlines
• Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing in a clear and concise manner
• Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks and properly prioritize workflow
• Ability to listen, read, and understand complex information in a short amount of time
Interested candidates may apply by submitting a resume and cover letter by electronic mail to
the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 11:59 p.m. on Thursday,
June 30, 2022.
Applications received via email will be the ONLY applications considered. Phone calls, or other
contacts will NOT be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Salary: $151,176 annually
All employees of the City of Chicago must be residents of the City of Chicago as outlined in
Chicago Municipal Code Section 2-152-050. Proof of residency will be required.
All employees of the City of Chicago must demonstrate commitment to and compliance with
applicable state and federal laws, City ordinances and rules, City Ethics standards, and other City
policies and procedures.
City of Chicago is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Military Friendly Employer.
Application Closing Date – June 30, 2022.
Materials received after the closing date will not be considered.
Early submission is strongly encouraged as applicants will be considered on a rolling basis.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com