Website DEPARTMENT OF LAW
The City of Chicago Law Department is seeking an attorney for the position of Assistant Corporation Counsel Supervisor (“ACCS”) in the Legal Information and Prosecutions (“LIP”) Division to represent the City’s interest and supervise other attorneys in the prosecution of violations related to Chicago Municipal Code violations at the City’s Department of Administrative Hearings or in the Circuit Court of Cook County. The ACCS will work under the general supervision of the Chief Assistant Corporation Counsel in the Division and will have significant responsibility on various matters, including but not limited to client counseling, creating and conducting training both in-house and for Client Department personnel, handling a high volume workload, and providing input on proposed state and local legislation. The ACCS will be responsible for both supervising and prosecuting all phases of litigation on his or her own cases, including preparing pleadings and motions of varying complexity, as needed.
Application Process and Materials
You must submit an on-line application along with your resume here on this site by the post-extension date July 26, 2022.
- Cover letter that (1) includes the position title and job number as noted on the posting; and (2) specifically identifies how you meet the minimum qualifications and have the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below;
- Law school transcript (official or unofficial);
- One writing sample; and
- Current printout of your attorney registration status from the Illinois ARDC website (or your admitted state bar’s equivalent).
Failure to submit all materials will result in your application not being considered for the position.
NOTE REGARDING PUBLIC SERVICE LOAN FORGIVENESS: Working for the City of Chicago Department of Law may qualify you for loan forgiveness under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
NOTE REGARDING REFERENCES AND ADDITIONAL MATERIALS: Please do not submit references with your hard copy materials. Please do not send to us any materials other than those we have specifically requested above. Submission of references and/or additional materials other than what is specifically requested above shall result in your application not being considered for the position.
NOTE REGARDING QUESTIONS: If you have any questions regarding how to apply, please contact the Department of Human Resources. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, the Recruiting and Personnel Sections in the Department of Law are not able to take or return emails or phone calls seeking any information pertaining to the position or the process. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in the City of Chicago Department of Law.
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM THE CAREER SERVICE.
Graduation from an American Bar Association accredited law school with a Juris Doctor degree and admission to the Illinois Bar (or eligible for admission on motion to the Illinois Bar pursuant to Illinois Supreme Court Rule 705).
Disclaimer – “Accredited” means any American law school that has passed and maintains the requirements of accreditation by the American Bar Association (www.americanbar.org).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ideal candidates will possess the following:
- A minimum of five (5) years of litigation experience in state court and/or administrative bodies
- Superior writing, research, and editing skills;
- Exceptional client counseling and organizational skills;
- Exceptional supervisory skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Experience in project or case management;
- The ability to work well with others;
- The ability to communicate (orally and in writing) with others, including groups;
- Demonstrated leadership ability and initiative on assigned tasks; and
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, monitor, and control workflow deadlines.
Please navigate to our website for the full post information and application procedures: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/dol/supp_info/attorney_vacancies.html
To apply for this job email your details to DOL.Application@cityofchicago.org