Website Equip for Equality
Advancing the Human and Civil Rights of People with Disabilities
STAFF ATTORNEY – SPECIAL EDUCATION CLINIC
The Staff Attorney position is within the Special Education Clinic. The Special Education Clinic provides services to students of all disabilities and their families in securing vital special educational placements, support, and services.
The attorney will participate in all aspects of the Clinic’s work, including:
- Provide brief written and telephone advice
- oral and written advocacy
- direct representation at IEP meetings, mediations, and expulsion hearings
- representation in due process hearings or federal court
- Systemic litigation and advocacy
This position reports to the Vice President of the Special Education Clinic. Training will be provided on special education law, client interviewing, and our internal case management system. Opportunities will be provided to work with pro bono attorneys, law student interns, and other professional development opportunities.
Our goal is to empower parents and families to be advocates while ensuring the rights of students with disabilities.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- A law degree and license (new graduates may apply even though they are not yet licensed; applicants barred in other states may apply if their UBE score qualifies them to be barred in IL or they are willing to take the bar exam)
- Ability to travel
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience with and/or commitment to working with low-income and diverse client populations
- Travel is required within the nearby geographic area.
- Commitment to civil rights.
- Personal or professional experience with people with disabilities.
This position is located in Chicago.
Equip for Equality encourages qualified candidates of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position.
APPLICATION DEADLINE, HOW TO APPLY, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Please submit your resume and cover letter as soon as possible, as there is an immediate opening. Include salary expectations in the cover letter. Salary is commensurate with experience, and EFE offers excellent benefits.
Click link to apply.
Do you need a reasonable accommodation for our application process?
Equip for Equality is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the application process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let her know the nature of your request and your contact information. Disability related information that is disclosed via the application process will be kept confidential.
Learn more about EFE at https://www.equipforequality.org/
Equip for Equality is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com