Website Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Family Services
Metropolitan Family Services empowers families to learn, to earn, to heal, to thrive. Part mentor, part motivator, part advocate, since 1857, Metropolitan Family Services has been the engine of change that empowers families to reach their greatest potential and positively impact their communities. Metropolitan is Illinois’ first comprehensive human services agency and reaches more than 117,000 individuals and families in Chicago, Evanston/Skokie, the southwest suburbs and DuPage County with services promoting education, economic stability, emotional wellness and empowerment. For 100 years, LAS and Metropolitan Family Services have partnered to provide the most comprehensive legal and social services to the most vulnerable people in our communities.
We are now hiring a full-time Staff Attorney to join the Individual Rights & Social Justice Practice Group in our Legal Aid Society team in our new Decatur office!
The Individual Rights & Social Justice Practice Group provides legal representation to victims of crime and currently has projects that focus specifically on services to victims of human trafficking and immigrant victims of crime. In addition, Individual Rights & Social Justice Practice Group engages in numerous direct outreach, training, and technical assistance throughout Illinois. As part of a trauma informed practice we believe in reducing barriers to assist clients, which includes being willing to meet with clients in safe locations outside the attorneys main location.
The attorney will work with victims of human trafficking and labor exploitation. Using a team approach, the attorneys will help clients with crime victim rights advocacy and enforcement, immigration relief as needed, and pursuing civil remedies to recover damages.
This is a hybrid position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Using client centered trauma informed techniques, provide high quality legal services to clients in all aspects of representation, from interviewing to litigation.
- Represents clients in state and federal court cases and administrative proceedings.
- Handle a full caseload of varying complexity.
- Prepare materials and conduct community-focused presentations on the many areas of law we cover, including safety planning.
- Actively collaborate with staff and leadership to support community investment, engagement, in a climate that is culturally relevant, restorative, and collaborative.
- Maintains client files and tracks and records additional activities and data as requested.
- Engage in and develop material for outreach, training, and technical assistance as requested.
- Support the mission of the agency through active engagement, participation, and leadership opportunities.
- Identifies and brings to supervisor’s attention, systemic issues affecting client population served.
- Provides consultation and support to agency staff in area of specialization.
- Supervise law students, paralegals, and volunteers as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Law Degree and admission to Illinois Bar or admission to another State with ability to obtain admission in Illinois required .
- Employment with MFS requires proof of vaccination or an approved Medical exemption, required.
- Knowledge and experience providing legal services to crime victims strongly preferred.
- Must have access to a vehicle, proof of insurance and valid driver’s license to perform essential job functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly developed work management skills.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Must be able to respond to large numbers of clients in a professional and empathetic manner.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups. Ability to learn and use technology and software programs used by LAS.
- Fluency in second language beyond English, preferred.
MFS staff are required to provide proof of vaccination or have an approved Medical exemption prior to starting employment. If an approved Medical is obtained, weekly testing is required.
Compensation is commensurate with years of related experience, position requirements, and candidate qualifications. The average salary for the position is $62,905.
Metropolitan Family Services offers a very generous benefits packet to our professionals:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Medical Coverage: HMO, Traditional PPO, or PPO w/ HSA contributions
- Dental and Vision Insurance Options
- 12 paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 401K Plan
- Training and Professional Development Plan with E- Learning
- Wellness Initiative Program
- Employee Assistance Network
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com